May 26, 2010

It's Not What You Say...

It irritates me to no end the way some people ask questions. If you want to know something just ask don't purposely structure your question to start an argument. For example, if you want to know my opinion on any subject ask "What do you think about...?" DO NOT start your question with, "Don't you think...?" or "You don't think that...?" When someone starts a question in either of these manners it automatically tips their hand to what side they are on. It also draws clear battle lines.

And when I tell you my opinion don't respond with "So what you're telling me is...?" This clearly tells me that you didn't hear what I was saying. You only heard what you wanted to hear and now you're ready to argue. If you follow these simple rules we can have a civil conversation with differing opinions without it turning into a full blown argument. Thank you.

0 comments: