August 21, 2008

Autumn Days

This time of year my head starts to spin a bit. There's something about the days growing shorter and the weather getting cooler that lights my senses on fire. It all just feels right. I've been this way all my life and I look forward to it every year.

When I was a kid this time of year always meant back to school. Outwardly I hated going back to school but inside I wanted to see all my friends and get back in the classroom. Granted I didn't want to go back to school to learn, I just wanted the social interaction. That didn't change once college rolled around. In fact it got worse. There is something about being on a college campus in the Fall that is electric. Maybe it's the football games. Maybe it's the feeling of being young. Maybe it's the parties. The funny thing is that even now that I am well beyond the school years it still feels like back to school to me. I wonder if that will ever change?

The two great things about Fall is football season and Halloween. I won't get into either of these in detail this time but in the future I will talk about both. So, as the leaves change and "jacket season" approaches, think back on Autumns past and the possibilities and dreams that changed your life. Think about college and new loves and a changing world that welcomes those young, fresh minds into academia. And think about the fun that fills the air on a chilly October night. I'm going to love the next few moths.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know it's still august, right? i mean, i love fall as much as anybody out there, but the high is still in the 90's today...

just saying...

sweet mave said...

it's already fall. i'm outside everyday for hours. working at nursery and such. and i felt it last week....the change. it's fall. yes, it's still hot as blazes. but it's definitely fall. so there.