October 7, 2009

I Believe In A Kingdom Come...

I've been in a real funk lately. Over the last couple months some things have happened that threatened to change my life. And change my life they have. I don't want to get into it all because most of it just isn't worth repeating. But those couple of things that do matter have really sent me into a tailspin. I have been physically and emotionally spent for a few weeks now and I needed a recharge. Last night I got that recharge.

Some people go to church to renew their spirit. Others go to the gym. Still others turn to drugs. I find that renewal in music. For the past few years I have not had the relationship with music that I once did. It seems that we have circled each other for some time but haven't crossed paths due to a bitter breakup. I think we have reconciled. I have been working on some new songs for the first time in many years. I hit a wall awhile back and could never push through that block. Finally something gave one night and new creative energy started to slowly trickle through. I feel better when I have that outlet.

Yesterday Andy and I drove to Atlanta to see U2 in concert. I have been to several concerts this year but this one was different. It's no secret that U2 is my favorite band. I have cornered many people while in a drunken state and gushed endlessly about their music. Last night marked the ninth time I have seen Bono and the boys in concert. They never cease to amaze me. Well, except for the last time I saw them.

Four years ago I managed to get tickets at the last minute. They were actually seats rather than the general admission, standing room only tickets I was used to. I walked away from that concert very disappointed. At the time I thought it was because the concert itself wasn't that good. And to be fair, it may not have been a good show. I know I walked away not feeling like I had from the other times I had seen them. So I was hopeful that last night's show would be better.

As the band played I looked around at the crowd around me. Suddenly I realized that it was the sense of community that was missing last time. Standing in line and then again on the floor of the venue I had the opportunity to talk to other people who love the band. We shared stories about past shows and talked about our favorite songs. I believe this spirit of community is what drives religions and starts political revolutions. If you can rally a large group of people under one shared experience then you can change the world: www.one.org

Our trip to Atlanta was a hard one. I'll spare you all the details. But as I was on the phone with my Dad yesterday, during a stop for car trouble and then again today, he asked me the same question: "Is it worth it?" As I left the Georgia Dome last night with 79,000 other people, feeling better than I have in many months, I thought to myself, "This was worth every bit of it."

0 comments: