March 13, 2010

A Little Bungalow With Some Strange New Friends

Yet another of my old Myspace blogs. At the time I wrote this I was doing a radio show at Vol State but not enrolled in school. You'll see how that is relevant.

I find that as I get older I long for things I never really had. Kinda like being cool. I have never been cool but that's okay because no one is really cool (it helps me sleep better at night). Here is a (hopefully) short list of things I never had that I long for:

1. A high school love -- I never had a teenage love. Somehow I feel that this crippled me in a way because I made A LOT of mistakes in my "adult" relationships because I did not work through some of the kinks as a teen. This could also explain my obsession with teen television dramas.

2. A muscle car -- My first car was a 1975 Camero. Yes, technically it was a muscle car but mine was beat up and nowhere near its past glory but I loved that car. This is ironic when I think about some of the girls I dated.

3. A great adventure -- I dreamed and even planned on several occasions to take off on a cross country drive. Things just never worked out. Now, I wish I had done it.

4. A great first experience -- It was less memorable as it was stressful. Go figure.

5. A virgin -- Never been with one. The closest I've been is third on the list. Not that I'm that upset because anyone who knows me knows my affinity for whores. And besides, who really wants to shoulder the responsibility of that task. Certain extremists think that if they die doing "God's" work then they will be rewarded with seven virgins. Give me two good sluts and you can have all the virgins in the world. Of course, being first on the list bares no comparison to others. And not being compared to someone is a security in and of itself.

6. Old friends -- I had some great friends in high school. However, as soon as I broke from the pack and made other friends I came under scrutiny for betraying "the only 'real' friends" I'd ever have. Yeah, those where screwed up days. But I didn't know better therefore it was a better time, right? I still run in to those guys from time to time and they all turned into what I knew they would. For all of the talk about "Us and Them", they all faded right in with the mainstream ideas about careers and marriage. Whereas I was the one who skated around these institutions. Score one for the conforming non-conformist.

I realize that I miss college more than ever. Being on campus but not in school lets me have all the benefits of school without all the work. But, I now know that I enjoyed the work too. Learning is a great thing. Especially once I realized that learning is a form of eternal youth. Figure that one out for yourself. These days I'm just the dirty old man on campus. I figure I've earned that one though. Act III...

0 comments: