April 4, 2010

From The Breaking Of The Dawn

Being raised in church Easter was the second of the two big holidays. My father was the choir director and his work on the yearly Easter cantata started in late January. This meant that I was going to be at the church a lot over the next couple months. What seemed like endless nights at the church actually led to some fond memories for me. Luckily some of my friends' parents were in the choir so we would run wild through the church basement. Many, many hours were spent playing hide & seek in those dark hallways and classrooms. I knocked myself out one night running down the hallway and turning a little too soon into the next hallway. Head, meet brick wall.

Most of us generally view Easter as another holiday to visit family and kids know they are going to get candy and toys. I fell into this last category as a kid. I could never remember when Easter was happening so in the springtime I would get up every Sunday and run into the living room to see if this was the day I'd get stuff. Here is my Easter shame captured in all it's glory:




Yep, gotta love parents and their need to capture every moment of their kid's existent. I guess I really don't have a true feeling about Easter and it's Christian meaning any longer. I long ago stopped attending church and have had my questions about religion for years. But I do think Easter should be THE holiday on the Christian calender. It is generally believed that Jesus was born in April and Christmas was created by the church to try and "Christianize" a pagan holiday. Easter is the big moment in Jesus' ministry and we know that it happened on the Sunday after Passover. I guess retailers couldn't figure out a way to commercialize Easter enough to make it a bigger holiday.

Happy Easter everyone. I hope you spent lots of time with your families and your kids found lots of hidden eggs.

0 comments: