April 4, 2010

Something Old, Something Blue (part 3)

This is another of my old Myspace blogs. I wrote it about a friend of mine that died. Today it has been thirteen years. I went to her grave today. Being Easter I guess that's a bit poetic.


April 4, 1997

A month had passed since the trip to New Orleans. The spring musical was quickly approaching but Melissa had missed a lot of classes. She had been in the hospital directly after the trip but had returned in her usual upbeat manner. But I was starting to worry.

I had met Melissa my first semester at Vol State. I wanted to be a better singer so I signed up for voice lessons. Melissa Gibson was not what I had bargained for. She was charismatic and larger than life. When she entered a room everyone knew it. So when I entered her office that January day I was more than a little over whelmed by her presence.

As the weeks went on I came to love Melissa. She had had a very interesting life in the theater and her best friend Holden was an executive with Disney. She also had this crazy musician friend named Ken who did all of her set designs. I'm certain he was stoned all the time. Because of Melissa I met my best friend Kim. I also met other colorful characters that I will not go into.

Of all the interesting people and situations Melissa introduced me to, the best thing she did for me was get me to let go on stage. I have always been a ham for the spotlight but Melissa taught me how to shine. I was always one of the first people she called when she was putting a show together. I learned to love being on stage because of her. Not many people who know me now have seen me take the stage but when I do I can thank Melissa Gibson for encouraging me to not be afraid of the spotlight.
April 4th was Chris' 21st birthday and we were heading out for the night when I got a page from home. Since it was 7 o'clock on a Friday night I knew something must be up. When we reached the Olive Garden in Rivergate I called from the payphone in the lobby. My Dad answered the phone and told me that Mark Birdsong had called the house looking for me. He gave me Mark's number and I hung up. I had a bad feeling. For the next fifteen minutes I tried getting in touch with Birdsong but his phone was busy. Finally I got through.

Melissa Gibson died at 4:12 pm on April 4, 1997 due to a heart attack. She was 38.
The next few days are still a blur ten years later. I had always felt like an outsider in the Vol State Singers but that weekend at the funeral home I felt completely alone. I was there as much as possible but missed the people I needed to see. Holden couldn't get away from work to come, I missed Ken in the shuffle somewhere and Tim couldn't bring himself to go to the funeral. He said he didn't want to remember her that way. I couldn't blame him. I wish I hadn't seen that casket go into the ground.

The great thing about looking back on bad times is remembering the good times that surrounded them. When I remember Melissa I see her in the theater at Vol State barking out orders and telling off color jokes. I see her in New Orleans showing us kids the real way to party. And every time I step onto a stage I hear her saying, "When you walk out on that stage you better mean every last second of it or else I'm gonna personally kick your ass!"

I went to see her today. I haven't been up there in a long time but I knew I needed to go. I didn't have much time but when I stood by her marker a flood of memories came rushing back; all good ones. I won't let as much time pass between visits from now on.

I miss you Melissa.

0 comments: