February 15, 2010

Something Old, Something Blue, Again...

This is another blog from the Myspace days. I've always been kinda proud of this one because it is meant to be read along with the song "She Will Be Loved" and is just long enough to end at the same time. It may take you a couple times but you'll get there.

It's Not Always Rainbows and Butterflies

Act III begins with a snap back to reality....

"I don't mind spending every day out on your corner in the pouring rain"

I still remember doing those sorts of things to try and win the girl I was longing for. There were a lot of girls over the years. Some were worth it, I think. Some could have been worth the time but I got sidetracked by another. Some just blew me off and made the most impression. I can name every girl I ever longed for but did not win over. I don't even know the first names of several girls I've slept with. It’s funny what sticks with you. But those girls that rejected me taught me a lot.

I learned that just being friends is the cruelest fate for any would be suitor. It never fails that she comes to you for advice with the new guy. What's worse is when the guy comes to you and wants to know what to do to impress her.

I learned that when you finally succumb to loneliness and start to date someone who's less than you want, your 'friend' will get pissy with you because you're not devoting enough time to her worship. Then she'll start to try and get your attention. The kick in the nuts in this situation is that you'll fool yourself into thinking that she actually wants you. So, you'll dump your sure thing (the girl who it would be wise to stay with because she actually likes you) and run head long into your object of affection who neglected to tell you she was seeing someone else.

I learned that no matter how hard you try and forget her, every song on the radio reminds you of her. Every movie you see will give you false hope that one day she'll come to her senses and realize that you are the only one she wants. Every sappy love poem you write will be a ticking time bomb of future embarrassment that lies in wait to fall into the wrong hands.

I learned that years later when you see her she'll still captivate you like you never thought she would.

I learned that once you give up and move on to a new object of affection, everything that has happened up to that point will sabotage any happiness that you may have had with the new girl.

I learned that after years of rejection you'll not be able to recognize when someone is actually interested in you. This leads to a lot of immature turns in the road to happiness. A lot of stupid things will be said and done. A lot of feelings will get hurt. And a lot of inadequacies will rear their ugly heads.

I learned that when you get older and finally move past so many rejections and embarrassments, you'll look back and wonder where all the energy and passion that you reserved for those futile campaigns went. How can you devote so much time and attention to chasing after something that you'll never get, but now are willing to let your desires flee into the sunset without even the slightest chase?

Here's what it all comes down to. In the song "She Will Be Loved" after the bridge, it feels like the song is going to go into another verse, the singer does a turn around. He only sings the first line of the second verse ("Tap on my window, knock on my door. I want to make you feel beautiful") and then there is a pause, and they go straight into a revved up chorus. That pause right before the song kicks back in is where every person who ever longed for someone lives.

It’s perfectly wedged between where you (as the wannabe love interest) are and where you long to be. That simple restatement of all you ask ("Tap on my window, knock on my door...") and what you long to do ("...I want to make you feel beautiful") builds to a climax. Then there is the dramatic pause to build the anticipation. As the chorus booms every second of teenage angst, love, lust, longing, crying at sappy movies, sing-a-longs to sugary love ballads by artists you'll one day be ashamed to admit you secretly liked and years of waiting for her to realize that no one could love her like you could, culminates in a passionate embrace that threatens to collapse the stars and tear the very fabric of reality.

Sadly most of us never get to come back in with the booming chorus that allows you to express your love for each other. That's why the victims of unrequited love will forever be stuck in that dramatic pause waiting to finally win the girl and live happily ever after. Sorry Ducky, maybe in the sequel. After her second marriage collapses and she needs someone to raise her two kids (one by each father, and the reason she got married both times). Then, you'll look pretty damn good.

0 comments: