September 5, 2008

A Crisis-less Crisis of Faith

It's true. I never thought that questioning my faith would be so easy or happen so quietly but it has happened and I don't have any answers for it. So I have been looking back over my life and trying to figure out where it happened. The only thing I have been able to come up with is that I was never a big believer to begin with. From the time I was a child I just wanted to sleep in on Sunday mornings or watch tv on Sunday and Wednesday nights. Church was something that I was made to attend. Until I was a teenager and we switched churches I really never cared to go. Of course the only reason I wanted to go then was because there were new girls to make my life miserable. Good times.

On the opposite side of this I do believe that most religions have a good foundation of values and morals. I also believe that most religions have a good philosophy for living life at their core. I just fail to see how one can be better than another. I do still believe that there is a creator. I could never believe that everything just happened one day. I suspicion that deep down most scientists see how ridiculous the Big Bang Theory really is. That's just what's going on in my head right now.

On a similar note, I am glad that I was not raised a Scientologist. I think this sums up that mess of a "religion":

"Chewbacca defeated Xenu with the ruby of Cyttorak, but his thetan will reform in the tentacled spawn of Tom Cruise to kill the Smurfs if it's the last thing it does. Captain Kirk has to fight it, and Voltron is all PCHU-PCHU!"

1 comments:

sweet mave said...

if i ever go out on a sunday between 11 and 2, i am reminded how much i hate church people. they are rude, self-righteous, self-important. or maybe they are just pissed they had to go to church.